Friday, January 4, 2013

Snowflake Clothespin Wreath

I love wreaths. I love seeing them in stores and being tempted to buy them, though I rarely actually buy because most are so darn expensive. I also love making wreaths. A lot. Seriously, in the last month I must have made 5 or 6 alone. They were mainly for Christmas, but I also made some for Easter and Spring because I had some bug in me wanting to work on ALL the projects I could possibly do!

One of my most favorite kinds of wreaths to do, or at least a kind I've made a few different of, are clothespin wreaths. They're super duper easy, rustic, and cute. They can be a tad time consuming with the whole painting of all the clothespins, but I'm sure you could always spray paint them all and make your life about 10 times easier, but who has time for that nonsense ;).

Today I bring you one particular wreath I finish a few days before Christmas. I love it and intend to keep it up probably for the rest of the winter season, or at least until I decorate for St. Patrick's Day or Easter because it's something I'm really quite proud of. I originally found this wreath browsing through cyber space on a website I used to frequent and it was an "advent calendar" wreath, but I decided not to make mine as one, but instead follow the basic concept.

Here is the wreath:

Snowflake Clothespin Wreath

Supplies:
Clothespins (I believe it was about 50-55 as it generally takes that many to fill a wreath form)
12-inch wire wreath form, or a wire clothes hanger, whichever tickles your fancy
Red paint
White paint
Mod podge
Silver glitter
Red glitter
Silver glitter glue
Wooden snowflake shapes (or something else winter-y if you wish, or any shape really if you don't want to do it for Winter/Christmas)
Fishing line
Ribbon for a bow (if you wish to have one)

Directions:
You can do it one of two ways really, you can take all the clothespins and clip them around the wreath form to see about how many you'll need, or you can just take all your clothespins and paint them. Either way, paint or spray paint your clothespins red. I did two coats so it was nice and covered, however if you like a more rustic look, one is enough.

Next, take your mod podge and apply it to one side of your clothespins. I put it on to about five at a time because I didn't want to risk the mod podge drying on me before I was done. Dip mod-podge-side-down into one of the glitters. Or, if you want, mix the colors and just dip it in, whatever, it's all personal interpretation! I alternated each clothespin between silver and red, as you can see. Set aside. Continue until all the clothespins have been glitter-fied.

Wait for the mod podge to dry. Now, this next part isn't necessary, but I like t do it so I don't have glitter falling all over the place. I sealed the glitter to the clothespins by then applying another layer of mod podge over top of the glitter. Let dry.

While those are busy drying, you can move on to your snowflakes. Go ahead and paint those cute, little suckers white and let dry. Again, I did two coats, but if you want one or more, have at 'er! If you want, you can paint both sides of the snowflakes, but it's not necessary. Once they were dry, I took out my glitter glue and lined the snowflake with it.

Since your clothespins are likely dry, or close to, go ahead and attach them to your wire frame in whatever order, form, or fashion you wish. As you can see, I alternated colors.

Once your snowflakes are dry, take your fishing line and cut two pieces long enough to allow your snowflakes to dangle in the middle of the wreath. Attach the fishing like either by taping, gluing, or just tying it to the snowflakes (I tied since they had the hollow bit in the middle) and then tie it to your wreath form.

If you wish, you can now attach or create a bow and put it on the top of the wreath.

TA-DA! You just made an adorable clothespin wreath, perfect for any home this winter or holiday season! :)

I hope you've enjoyed this post!

Check out the pin here!

Until next time,

-Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment